Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Culture of Rage


Ever wonder why some boy shows up at school one day and kills the jocks and bullies? Maybe this is why.

This is nothing new. I went through this from time to time. I didn't conform to the demands of a common culture. John Lennon stated it best in Working Class Hero:

They hurt you at home and they hit you at school,
They hate you if you're clever and they despise a fool,


I lay in bed at night as a scrawny fourteen year-old with nothing but thoughts of revenge on these thugs to feel the torture of humiliation for themselves. Oh what'd I'd do to them if I were bigger. Well, I got bigger after high school. In fact I got physically intimidating. I did run into many of these thugs later. Each time I encountered one of them I realized I could beat each of them to a pulp... and each time we ended up laughing about it and they apologized. Kids do stupid things.

No comments: